Public Health Laws

Use this pdf, a compilation of Alabama laws pertaining to public health, to learn about the laws that apply to your business.

Local Health Departments

Access local county health websites and their individual services.

Certificates, Licenses, & Permits

Access information and forms for obtaining ADPH issued certificates, licenses, and permits.

Low-Cost Health Care

Apply online for ALL Kids, Plan First, and Medicaid.

Food Service Regulations

Access rules and regulations for restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, and food service establishments.

Home Care Services

ADPH ensures the delivery of compassionate health care services through the Bureau of Home and Community Services.

Frequently Asked Questions

See below for a list of the most common inquiries about the programs, initiatives, and regulations of the Alabama Department of Public Health.

Will ADPH let me know if you have proposed regulations that might affect my business?

Yes, if you want to receive an e-mail notification on proposals by ADPH to adopt, amend, or repeal a rule, please complete the Notification of Proposed Rules Request Form here.

What are the Alabama tobacco control laws? Does ADPH have programs to help state residents quit using tobacco?

A summary of Alabama’s tobacco control laws are available here. A model smoke-free workplace policy is available here. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW or visit for Alabama’s tobacco Quitline which offers free tobacco cessation services to Alabama residents..

What if employees at my business have been exposed to someone with tuberculosis (TB)?
Do my employees qualify for free or reduced cost family planning services?
Are my employees eligible for the Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program?
Where can I get information about starting a restaurant from a public health standpoint? Do I need any permits to operate a concession stand on a temporary basis?
Does Alabama have any public health regulations about tattoo parlors?
How do I learn about developing an emergency preparedness plan, especially for people with disabilities?

Visit the Bureau of Professional and Support Services’ Emergency Preparedness Webpage for information regarding emergency preparedness for employees, including people with special needs.

How do I find what special services are offered by my county health department?
How do I get certified copies of vital records (i.e. birth, death, marriage, divorce certificates)?

Contact Information

Jim McVay, Dr.P.A.
Director, Bureau of Health Promotion & Chronic Disease
RSA Tower, Suite 900, 201 Monroe St.,
Montgomery, AL 36104
Phone: 334-206-5600
contact us

Get Atlas Updates

Sign up to be notified when new features are added to the Atlas Alabama site.